In the spirit of this really being the first post I thought I would mention the mantra I chanted as we tried to conceive and that has been carrying me through this first trimester.
Ganesha Sharanam Sharanam Ganesha
Ganesha is the remover of obstacles and is always invoked at the beginning of any endeavor. He is also the earth element or root chakra which needs to be solid before we can fly. Sharanam means refuge, protection.
I write this because it is a sweet ritual I have. My husband and I both would chant this in melodic tones around the time I was ovulating to welcome fertilization. Once we realized I was pregnant it became a message we send to the little one growing. I sing it when I am driving, think it or chant it when I am meditating, I try to say it out loud at least once a day.
I believe the messages we send to our little ones when they are developing are powerful. I recommend doing it no matter what you want to say… theistic or non-theistic. Just let it be a message of love and encouragement.
If everything works out well I will be a mother in June 2010. This is my first pregnancy.
I don’t forsee this blog being all about the details of my changing body and the developing body within me. I do keep a paper journal to chronicle that journey for my little one when they are older and curious. I don’t really see a need for me to keep a blog but I am going nuts not being able to tell everyone I am pregnant at this point. It is too early (I am still in the first trimester). I am researching and reading as much as I can to prep for this baby. I figure I can articulate my musings and record what I learn on this site. If I get a reader or two then that will be cool (as long as you are supportive), if not I won’t be upset.
Some things about me and this pregnancy:
- I am a yogini and will use yoga, meditation, and pranayama (breathing) as I carry this child.
- My husband and I plan to use a midwife for a home birth. Whether my body will go through with this is not up to me (stuff happens). What is up to me is to be as healthy as possible while I carry this child.
- I wish I could walk extremely lightly on the earth, but I am part of modern society. I walk the middle way, I use technology and am mindful of my resource consumption.
- I generally like to eat low on the food chain but will give in to what my body wants during this pregnancy as long as it is within reason. I do like to talk about food, and show food porn.
- I like to play.
- I enjoy taking pictures and may watermark what I take (e-mail me for permission and an image without a watermark).
- I like crafting and plan to post some of my successes, and failures.
- I am flexible and will change what I want when I want. I am also open to feedback.